Dental implants are becoming more and more popular, and it’s easy to understand why. They’re convenient, lifelike and aesthetically pleasing. Here is a quick overview of the top five reasons why dental implants are a great remedy for tooth loss.
- Dental implants are structurally complete. After the oral surgeon places the dental implant in the jaw, it becomes a permanent fixture in the mouth through a process known as osseointegration. That is, the surrounding bone fuses with the titanium implant, and as the end result, the implant becomes a root-like structure. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement device that have a physical link with the underlying jawbone.
- Dental implants are stable over time, with proper care. Because the implant can act like a root, it helps to prevent jawbone erosion that unfolds when a tooth’s root is no longer present. That erosion changes the shape of the jaw, and a conventional appliance, like a denture or dental bridge can lose its fit over time.
- Dental implants preserve more of the biological tooth’s functioning. Again, the connection between the bone and the implant is essential here. The implant can tolerate strong chewing forces necessary to process crunchy foods, like many fresh fruits and vegetables, preserving a patient’s capacity for adequate nutritional intake.
- Dental implants are convenient to maintain. Dental implants do not require support from surrounding teeth, so there’s no structure that restricts access to the gum line. You can brush and floss with your dental implants just like you do with your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are versatile. Your oral surgeon can place dental implants to support a single crown, a bridge or a denture, giving patients this option in a variety of tooth loss scenarios.
To learn more about the benefits of dental implants, contact our office and speak to one of our knowledgeable surgeons or support staff members. We can answer any questions you may have, and we encourage you to schedule a consultation to see if dental implants might be a good option for you.